Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The first time...

Tonight I was bathing the boys and as we were finishing up, Abby came into the bathroom to wait for her turn. I gave the boys their 2 minute countdown and when the time came, I told Nathan it was time to get out. He happily put his cup down, said "ok" and stood up! I wrapped him in the towel and was dancing around the bathroom with him being very silly and saying "Oh, Nathan, what good obeying! Mommy loves how you obeyed right away..." On and on my song and dance was going and he was all smiles. Abby was standing in front of the mirror, brushing out her hair, looking all of 12 years old, and said, "Mommy, you should give him a treat! Go get him a treat!" I started explaining to her that we don't always get a treat when we obey, that obeying is expected, you know on and on. Nathan is of course chanting "teat, teat!" and then Abby looks at me with all seriousness and says, and I quote, "but Mommy this is his first time ever to obey- really, Mommy, you should get him a treat!!"
The saddest part is that she might be right- at 21 months of age, this might be the first time ever he happily and quickly obeyed. I wasn't sure if I should laugh or cry...

4 comments:

BKicklighter said...

It's such a struggle - so thrilled you caught a break. Here's praying there's been a change in his heart toward obedience. Miss you too.

The Baughers said...

I'm cracking up at Abby's comments!...and don't know whether to laugh or cry either b/c E's obeying quickly and happily is few and far between right now too!

jessica said...

That is so funny! Don't you just love the "older sister" insight?!

Amanda said...

Maybe N had a breakthrough! :) I'm in the same boat!